Friday, July 30, 2010

CARPAL TUNNEL SYNDROME

CALLING ALL RBUs, KAKI LARIKS, LAMBUNGS, ETC AND FRIENDS .. SHAPE RUN SATURDAY , LETS ALL MEET UP INFRONT OF POJ, 630PM ONWARDS - SEMBANG, PHOTO AND CATCHING UP SESSION ..
******************************************************************************************************************** 

And back to my story, LOL

I have been having numbness in my right hand especially areas of my thumb and index finger for the past few weeks. The doctor put me on 3 weeks of mild steroids course and it still didnt go away so this morning I visited the neurologist at SDMC.

After a lengthy "interview" and running some tests, the doctor confirmed his suspicion, I have a trapped nerve. The Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Read about it here, and about the surgery here and do click on all the relevant sub discussions.

Being female and above 45 years of age seemed is one of main reasons that I have this and few more in the list that I can tick, wrist fracture (though its long ago, but it is a cause the doc told me), inflammation around tendons, and a lot of fb-ing? I asked him and he laughed heartily. "Could be but I dont see it in this case." Pheww!!

Since I have been on medication for about a month and there is not much improvemen, the doctor is recommending surgery. He is putting me on another 2 weeks course of medication but told me not to get my hopes high up. But I am in not in any danger or risk any bad damage. I thusfar only have numbness, no pain, no other symptoms except for the numbness. I can take my time to do the surgery, but will have to bear the numbness and I really , really, I mean really dont like that feel.

I am going to take the two weeks medication, get another opinion,  maybe try acupunture, discuss with hubs and then decide.  I am ok with the surgery its just that I will be immobile for at least a week, I think I'd prefer to do it during the school holidays so that I dont have to trouble my sisters with sending and picking up my son from school. But then again if the numbness gets to me I guess I will have to bother my sisters. Get it over and done with.


There are a few procedures for the ops and this is one of them .. err Yikes?

6 comments:

Justiffa said...

Lordy gf, life sure is throwing us older ones a lot of curve balls lately *hugs*

Xpe gf, it'll be ok, at least theres a solution.. and curve ball or not, we'll still be hitting a couple of home runs yet insyallah ;p

Take care and keep us all updated.

Yimster said...

I agree to try other alternatives first before surgery. Since you've said its not life threatening kan. Be well and stay that way ya. We still need ya ... lots!

IJAM said...

get a 2nd or 3rd opinion...
i dont really trust doctor 100%..
false / wrong diagnose..

nurse giving wrong prescription...huh..!!

hoping for good recovery...

June Malik said...

tiff, haah dugaan or cos nak sedarkan suruh I berpada2 lah tu, cukuplah tu? LOL .. but u said it, we have home runs to hit :) will keep u posted!

Yim/Ijam : already asking around for alternatives while taking medication. My main worry is after surgery use of wrist not as good as before, lecehlah, I still have tennis on my list of things to do/learn by the time I hit 50 LOL!

Zaki said...

Tennis is a big risk if you have wrist issues. You have to have strong wrist esp to whip on topspin and serve. Mebbe groundstrokes you can learn doubled handed ala monica seles dolu2. Anyway, get it sorted and let it heal properly.

June Malik said...

zaki, thanks and will take care :) see u tonite!