Saturday, August 28, 2010

Psst Psst - the 6th member of my family

Picking up where Zarin left .............

My family consists of my husband, me and my three kids. Five of us.  But I have an additional "invisible" member. Psst Psst. Read on :)

Do you know of, or heard of,  the term "mayang rumah" ? Some sort of a "penunggu rumah" but normally, a "penunggu" is  evil not a good one. A "penunggu" stays in abandoned houses, wreckaged houses, etc and can be dangerous if provoked.  A penunggu is a lost soul, a ghost, a stray spirit or belaan orang.

A mayang rumah is a being/thing that sorts of belongs to the house (like the soul of the house?) and most of the times they dont bother you, they are just there, but of course as all normal things goes, there would be some "naughty" ones, not bad or evil but naughty. I am sure sometimes when you are alone, you'd get the feeling that someone is watching you? or someone is behind you? Ha, ha .. dont worry, its just the mayang rumah having fun. Trust me,  harmless. How I know all this? I've had my fair share of experiences with all kinds of the other beings, ghosts, orang bunian, evil spirits. And a mayang rumah is the best of them all. You getting spooky yet? Ha ha, wait till you hear my story of my mayang rumah. Janganlah takut nak datang my house pulak  lepas nie ok ! I guarantee you, he does not disturb my guests. I have warned him that I will evict him if he does. Oh yes you can evict them if you want to.

My other tenant is a young boy. I caught a glimpse (shadow) of him one night when I went into my son's room and he crossed from the kitchen into the dining hall. Definitely a HE. Abt the same height Azam is now. And that explains to me about the things that happened around the house. Its young and being young they can be mischievious. What entity? Not a ghost for sure or an evil spirit. I was not afraid. I was "terperanjat dog" for a few seconds but I was not afraid.

This one is naughty. He likes to hide stuff. Our things would go missing and later we'd find it in the most unlikely places, my ipod shuffle that I left on the table went missing only later to be found in one of my handbags, a bag that I never use (it was a gift and it wasnt really my kind of handbag hehe);

Car keys thats has its own place that was found in my rempah cupboard; or I'd taken out a knife to use for cooking, went away to get something, and voila the knife was back in its place. Or the time when I was filling out the medicine box and left the vitamin bottle on the kitchen top , walked away to get something and a scoop  of the vitamins were neatly piled up  on the table, waiting for me.  Arlina lost her bangles, earrings, and stuffs that would later be found in my room, or in the kitchen or somewhere. And many more.

Yana has my sensitivity. She can sense things and thank god so far cant see them. I see them once in a while and trust me, you dont want that eye.  Yana is not a morning person. I have to physically shake her to wake her up in the morning when she was schooling , or threaten her that the next time I came up to wake her, it would  be a pail of water splashed on her. Many times he helped me. Her blanket was pulled. Her toe was tugged.  She's quite used to him teasing her that way. Once she stubbornly stayed in bed, he pulled her eyelids! He hid her stuff too.

Arlina was studying late night one time and she could feel him standing behind her. And  a whiff of touch at her elbows that jutted out from the table. She went straight up to bed. Azam had his fair share of losing things and few times he sort of breathes air at his face. Whatever went missing would eventually turn up again. We would normally ask him politely to return back our stuff and true enough, few days after that we'd find our stuff again. Very few occasion it'd just go missing. I guess he liked it too much to give it back.

My husband went to bed early once because he was tired. He was still awake when I went to bed. Apparently for a few times, just when he was about to drift into deep sleep, he  whispered "psst, psst" into my husband's ears. My husband never really believed in his existence, even though he cant explain some of the things that happened. But the psst psst changed his mind. And that's how he got his name too.

I wore this special  socks to bed. Its supposed to help with  blood circulation and also supposed to help me with my heel spur problem at that time. One morning I woke up to find that the socks were not on my feet. At first I thought that I'd probably took it out during my sleep and didnt realise it. But after doing up my bed, the pair of socks was no where to be found. It cost me almost a hundred bucks for that socks. So I sort of you know, talked to him. Took out another pair of socks and asked him to return back mine and he could have the other pair. Two nights after the "talk", we were about to go to sleep. I always put my handphone under my pillows, its my alarm clock. So I put my hand under my pillows and felt something. And there it was, my pair of missing socks.  Uugh.  I left the other pair out since I promised a trade. After two days, I told him that if the socks were still around that night, I'd assume that he didnt want the trade and would take them back. It was there and I quickly kept them back. Somehow, I didnt use my special socks again  he he. Would you?

The thing is, none of us  feel afraid of him, but my husband  wont spend the night alone in our house. LOL. And he is "one of us". Sometimes when I could feel his presence, I would recite the ayat Kursi and some quran verses, and I could feel him still there. He did not go away.  An evil one would have scattered. There was one time that I felt his presence rather strongly. I was alone. So I decided to set my terms with him. No harming any members of the family and absolutely no playing games with my guests. No entry into our rooms and bathrooms when we are in our rooms (I dont think he'd ever peep while I am in the shower, buta kot haahah). There I was talking to no one. (All the time wishing that he would  choose not to answer). Keep his mischievious-ness to the minimum. Or I will be forced to evict him out.

He is still here with us. I could feel him from time to time. He hasnt been as naughty as before. Once in awhile I guess he cant help it. I was about to leave the house one day and remembered I needed something from upstairs. Left my car keys on the table. Came down and it was missing. I was late and a bit miffed. "I want my keys back now". Went up to get my spare keys, just in case. Cant afford to spend time looking, was really late. The keys were back on the table. Did I not see them earlier? Its a whole bunch of keys, not one key and the table was totally empty !

Sometimes I wonder if he could actually help us if intruders were to enter our house. Like warn us, wake us up? Or spook them away? Help me with laundry, folding and ironing? hahah yeah I am pushing it, I know.

I have the habit of  saying "assalamualaikum", when I come back and unlock the doors. Sometimes I wonder what my reaction would be if he decided to balas my salam one day?

A Yikes and an eviction rites? hahaah I dont know. And I hope I wont have to know. And psst psst, if you are reading this behind my back, you dont want to get evicted, do you?

So, do you have a psst psst in your house?

More to come soon ... blame zarin LOL

35 comments:

Haza said...

Fuyoh! Scary! But funny too, and sort of sweet that he's trying to fool around for attention.

But we have our share of strange occurences too, but not too profound lah. We'd chalked it to our imagination only.

June Malik said...

H, sure ke imagination? hehehe

Julin Julai said...

Wah..ada Casper the ghost!

Cieri said...

heeee...ni yang rumah kat port klang ke tichik?

serena said...

ahh...and that explains your missing nike shorts. mystery solved, i think!!??

June Malik said...

julin kalau macam casper best,boleh tolong menolong hehe, ada teman bersembang pun!

amalina : yeah my current hse ni lah

serena : hmm it never crossed my mind cos its outside the house !

Yimster said...

Mintak nombor ekor puhleez? :)

June Malik said...

haha Yim, boleh try tapi tak guarantee LOL

IJAM said...

mysterious ni!! ada pokok besar tak kat area rumah u? overgrown pokok nangka ke, menopause pokok ketapang ke...ngeri2..

kalau i, dah lama pindah dah...takut oi...

ziff71 said...

Kak June, tabik ler u all. Mmg u all berani. But spooky lah though he was just being naughty :)

June Malik said...

Ijam, pokok besar ada across the road from my house, and lots of old trees around .. dah beli rumah camne nak pindah? learn to live together lah *wink*

Ziff, the socks episode did spook me jugak, but I think we found a way to co-exist together lol, so far none of my guests kata apa2, not unless they dont tell ??

samuel_emmanuel said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asfiKvQxbnM
n who said that we owned everything...even d hse we paid for is being shared with some1 else...so nothing is ours in this world n let us share ;-)

tsar said...

woah! i agree with Haza & Ziff.

tapi i like the part kalau dia boleh tolong jaga rumah tu. dah le nak raya nak tinggalkan rumah lama time raya2 ni. ke dia nak ikut jalan2? :D

psst psst tak makan mknan kat rumah ke?

btw, thanks for sharing. it's never to late to post this ;)

amsyah said...

our family pun bagi salam bila masuk rumah sendiri, so when you cakap the reaction if he would answer tu... meremanggggg...

come to think of it, I miss my stuff all the time oand later found them at weird places. I just found my driving licence after lost it for 3 weeks, and I still cannot locate the wristwatch my wife gave me (shhhh! jangan bagitau dia no!). Perhaps I have my ow version of mayang... serammmmm...

June Malik said...

sam, believe it. they are there, good and bad ones.

syah , definitely a psst psst, slow talk lah mintak balik the watch *secret safe here* if u never felt takut or anything, then nothing to be scared of now. pasal jawab salam tu, kita hadapi bila jadi *hope notla kan* i pernah hilang my watch for 3 whole months and one day it was just there on the sofa, and the battery was dead, sebab tu dia bagi balik kot? *tak berani gelak*

zarin : so far belum share makan, i hope notlah haha, hope dia duduk rumahlah tak ikut jalan2!

Azza said...

azza blum ada rezeki jumpa la Kak Jun....hihi

Khairul said...

kes berat ni kak June. ishhh...stokin pun dia nak? stokin cap ayam ok la. kalu kena compression socks? nak kena lempang benda tu...hahaha!

Zack Yui said...

Halief sometimes melilau looking around esp towards the ceiling when I carry him to sleep. I remember bulu tengkuk meremang whenever I have to get into the house again picking up something after everyone are already in the car, esp early morning. I have suspicions but nothing ever happen so I just buat tak tau jer.

I believe rumah I pon ada...

IJAM said...

zaki : that explain your missing wallet!! ambik kau...

Haza said...

Pasal benda hilang ni, suddenly I teringat one incident at work. A very important document was missing, semua orang gelabah papan, then my boss cakap, cuba kita pujuk "dia" baik2, soh bagi balik, mana tau dia nak main2 je. Then nobody actually took her seriously, we assumed she was joking. Baca citer ni now I know she could be right. Anyway, the document is still missing.

samuel_emmanuel said...

Kak J, i believe all this...we r not d 1st owner of d plc we staying now. our neighbour told us b4 there was an old lady staying wif a family n then dunno wat happened to d lady. then d family put d hse for sale n we bought it...but alhamdullillah, so far so gd n hope it remains tt way becoz i ever saw kalibats many times in the hse...

June Malik said...

azza, biar tak jumpa hehe

KA, dia kalo take my compression tights memang kena evict lol

Zack Yui (glamour mcm hongkong star), budak2 if young sometimes can nampak, tapi kalau ada rasa2 meremang .. and ur wallet is a proof , but no fret, jgn marah2 dia aje.

Ijam : u lucky, cerita pasal kawan je :)

Haza, if mintak time tu dpt kot?
Sam : hope all stays that way :)

IJAM said...

i takde cerita pasal diri i...belum ada lagi la...eh mcm mintak pulak...

June Malik said...

haha Ijam, jangan mintak, nanti dpt yang best of the best LOL

IJAM said...

jgn kena rasuk sudah la...tu yg paling takut..

June Malik said...

betul ijam, kena rasuk haru .. tapi kalau yang datang amoi amacam? lol

rara said...

wohh.. walaupon he's a good one, still menakutkan.. huhu...

June Malik said...

rara, its funny, i never realised that many would be spooked .. but i guess we should kan?

oops did I just say that? said...

betul ke AJ camtu?? scaryyy..so far our house in SJ takde pulak..

ARZ said...

Mimi said it! No experience with live-ins other than the rascals you know! Plus one live-in maid yang ngak mahu pulang-pulang

June Malik said...

yeah mimi, betul , its my current house ni ! jgan tak mau datang pulak ha ha

oops did I just say that? said...

scared lahhhh..hopefully "he" tak makan all the kuih rayas..hehe

June Malik said...

haahh mimi, so far no eating or drinking, kalau ada happen errk, kena buat eviction lah LOL

June Malik said...

haahh mimi, so far no eating or drinking, kalau ada happen errk, kena buat eviction lah LOL

sessionist lounge said...

i don't like staircases.
everywhere i go with staircase, it gives me the chills. line told me about psst psst long ago but so far i like staying at your place once in a while. but yeah, i'd avoid using the staircase so much.
i think my house at kampung is spooky.