Wednesday, September 01, 2010

A sad story

On Monday, I had to get some things for the house and thought this would be the right time to do so with the Raya sale going on. Klang was jammed, so I decided to try my luck at Juso Bukit Tinggi. I was lucky, not too many people and it was a breeze. Little did I know I would end up crying with a stranger in my arms on a bench!

I was walking around the mall and I saw them. People walking by all looked at them, some gawked, and some went shaking their heads. How could they not? There they were, a young malay couple in their early twenties, she was donning the tudung but wore a really low cut blouse that showed half her breasts, with skinny jeans. He was the punk type. Spiky hair, jeans with all those chains hanging around the waist. They were oblivious to the crowd. She had her legs across his thighs, and they were smooching and touching each other and whispering and giggling. His hands went to her breasts once. Stopped me in my tracks. None of my business. Not my kids. But, .. how could I walk and not do or say something? There were families with young kids walking around. He was hugging her and she was nibbling at his throat. No one would say or do anything for sure. Security wasnt around when you need them.

So I went to them. I know. I am such a busybody. But sungguh memalukan lah tenguk anak melayu macam ni. I cant just walk by. Stopped infront of them. She looked at me.  Softly I told them, "dik, jangan lah buat perangai macam ni kat sini. malulah semua orang tenguk. tak baik, ni pun bulan puasa" She slowly moved her legs from him and sat and looked up at me. A sly smile on her lips.

"Who are you? my mom?", she asked.

Well, I wasnt. I simply shook my head and turned to walk away. Saw her smiled and something inside me snapped. I turned to her, "I am not your mom. But if I were, I would be truly humiliated, embarassed and disappointed that my child is behaving like this. Because I would have brought her up better than this. I would have taught her better manners.  I would rather die than witness my child behaving like this. Thank god your mom is not here." I must have struck a chord. She paled. I simply walked away.

I felt a bit sorry for letting out to her, I was not her mother as she pointed out. Anyway, what's done is done. I got my stuff and then went to Papa John's to order Azam's request. Sat on a bench just outside the restaurant. And saw her, alone this time. She saw me and came and sat beside me. Before I could say anything, she started crying. She was really crying her heart out. I was taken aback and didnt know what to do for awhile, till I got my senses back and gently held her hands and asked her to talk to me. And it all came out, in between sobs and tears. I ended up taking her in my arms and we sat like that for awhile while she cried and I cried. I cant help it. People must be wondering what was happening.

Turns out, she's an only child. Her mom died few months ago of cancer. She was angry at her mom for dying and leaving her alone. Her dad's side dont care about her. They didnt agree to the marriage. Her mom's side has only one sister, and the two sisters were not close. She was basically left with her dad. She was sort of rebelling for her mother for leaving her. She was hurt. She just didnt care anymore. Her dad cant control her either. When I said what I said, she said I made her think of her mom and how she loved her and would be disappointed with her behaviour. She needed that wake up call. I stayed longer than intended. We exchanged numbers and I told her to call me anytime she needed someone to talk to, or needed anything. I am going to check on her from time to time. She's only 22. One year older than my eldest. My heart goes out to her. I could totally relate to her agony. Sigh.

I still get teary thinking about what happened. I guess in a weird sort of way, I was right to be a busybody. Not always though, that I know!

29 comments:

oops did I just say that? said...

AJ mimi pun nakkkk nangis baca ni....good job AJ for standing up for what you believe in and saved her from what could have been worse!

Haza said...

Which is why I have stopped judging nowadays. It tires me. We don't really know their stories. When we dig, let's look for the gold, not the dirt.

Way to go, Ibu!

..::EnAikAY::.. said...

Bravo, bravo!
The next time u go meet her, wear your marathon finishers' tee. Who knows u might motivate some souls to live life better.

ARZ said...

Am glad I drop in to your site this morning. Kak Mun told me about your unwelcomed guest in your residence. Was wondering which residence - Pt Klang or Johor.
Am doubly glad U did what you feel was the right thing to do. Help her June (not that I think you will not). If I can be of help too, SHOUT!

OK, now I'll go back reading your earlier posting!

dannie chOOng said...

if only the world have more of such people like you. i count it a blessing knowing you Kak.June ! bless you...

IJAM said...

intro of 18sx - need adult supervision.
Middle : 'Bravehart' thingy - courage to approach
End : sad & drama...

My comment : I thought the punk guy will harass you or wait at the parking lot and throw eggs at your car..
i just can't imagine the short blouselah...(and the touching part)

My question : while she's crying on your shoulder, where's the punk dude?...is she gonna leave him?...
what about the papa johns pizza?

KOOKY KASH said...

That was really unexpected and truly a sad case. There's a reason you were there, June.

RaYzeef said...

the world need more mom like u, thank u for having the courage to care. i can relate to her story, u see my mom gone to other side when i was six, i hit the books instead of doing crazy shit, i got lucky:)

ziff71 said...

Bravo Kak June. It also serves as a reminder for us being parents

Yimster said...

Rebellious indeed. Kind heart you have there mommy. Sometimes I wish kids would vent whatever they have pent up in good ways ... errm like running :)

Zack Yui said...

You did great there june. Tah ramai yang sanggup buat mcm tu.

Ijam, aku mushkil sikit lah maqsood soalan ke2 kau tu! Lain Mcm ada maqsood tersirat jer? Huhu

IJAM said...

maksud tersembunyi tu....

jue said...

Things always happen for a reason like how you ended at Jusco Bkt Tinggi and she was there . . .

I said many times that these days HUman try to act as God to judge & punish. We should live in a manner God wanted us to instead.

You were made to be there for a reason . .. cos' God need someone with a motherly instinct to speak on behalf of her late mother.

You just did that!! May u be bless

n i j e said...

hebat la kak june... tersentuh dengan cerita tu. hebat!

rara said...

luckily your words hit her well.. God bless u for being busybody.. hehehe..

IJAM said...

eh mana la kak june ni..., mesti pegi jumpa perempuan yg pakai short blouse tu....

June Malik said...

Ijam : ada nie, baru online. I dont know what happened to the punk boy, didnt ask, too much tears and all, but will do so when I talk to her nanti. tak teringat lah after episode thingie, next time kena jaga2 gak nak busybody ni kan .. hehe u and ur maqsood lain LOL

Friends : I was glad I was there too, kesian kat dia. Now dok tulis ni pun boleh get teary eyed. Really touched me. Inilah masalah bila ada problem and no place/person to turn to, some are strong enough to get thru it and some simply take the wrong path. I hope I can help her. Planning to ajak her berbuka when my kids are around. Get them to know each other. And maybe talk to the dad? tak mau dikata pandai2 masuk campur hal rumah tangga orang pulak.

IJAM said...

i think better not to dig too deep..(kot?)

Justiffa said...

U saved a soul there, at least for the day.. way to go juney <3

June Malik said...

ijam, memang tak mau dig. cuma tak mau salah faham.

tiff, i hope so.

~Sasha Farina~ said...

:( sedihnya.. sedihnya. i'm glad you did what you did kak june. really.

Diket said...

You were an angel la Kak June...angel yang garang :)
Who knows, your action might turn her to seorang yang beriman. Amin. Berlipat kali ganda your pahala tu.

June Malik said...

sasha, memang sedih. merambu2 kita orang dua orang nangis, ingat2 now adoi malu haha.

diket, i just hope she will now do the right thing. insyaallah.

ian yusof said...

you are such a great person, definitely not a busy body. :) You are doing it for a purpose. I wish I have your guts.

June Malik said...

Ian, one of these days my so called guts will land me in hot soup but if it was for a good cause, bring it on ! heeh ..

samuel_emmanuel said...

*gawk* *speechless* *salute* i m glad i m yr fren...or rather, BRO...at least i know whose shldr to cry on in time of need...
btw, did u check all things intact when u left her...takut2 kena pickpocketted lak...this thing happens...
and where is d boy??? pick up fr d mall ke???

Azza said...

Caring is sharing, you've proved that K.June :)

June Malik said...

Sam, all things accounted for, tak terfikir pun :) I will know more and update when i meet her soon.

Azza :)

sessionist lounge said...

aunty..
this really moves many people.
being only 23 myself, i understand how things can get out of hand and the rebellious side of a good kid can really make you feel that the world after all is a better place to care and be taken care of.
cheers to you for the good job! :)
you're everybody's mom who's not judgemental.