Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Surviving JB

Runners are a friendly lot for sure. World without strangers :) memang betul diket !

I tried the small park this morning. It looked deserted when I arrived so I decided to run out on the road first, covering 3 rounds  and then made my way in. (its a 1.3km stretch)

Met a chinese aunty who had just finished her normal 3 rounds and she sure was chatty. Wished me good morning and immediately noted that I was new! I guess  me standing outside the gate looking totally lost did the trick ha ha. Talked with her a bit, and found out that even though its rather quiet its still quite safe to run there - but I am going to get pepper spray and run with it nonetheless. Its rather deserted on weekday mornings. One loop in the park covers slightly more than 1km depending on the path that you take. I havent tried the longest loop yet.

Said my goodbye and started to jog slowly and saw few other people .. passed a few and got some nods and smile. Waaaaa ada orang jb yang friendly he he (i did say my condo ppl aje yang snobbish kan??) .. few abangs and adiks and only 2 ladies including me. Tried my luck and caught up with the lady and gave my salam. She was really nice, and we had a good short chat. I was told weekends the place is quite pack. I am going to try and run in the evening and see the crowd.

I did 7km this morning, test run and enjoyed it. Its not a fantastic place but a place nonetheless. Hopefully the Clark Hatch Gym near my place will reopen in February as they announced on the notice board and I also have a nearby starbucks to lepak and a cinema in the same vicinity. Its not too bad now that I have this combo of run, gym and lepak place. No one to hang out with wont be so bad !

I also bought a spanking new squash racket! I played when I was in my 20's and was actually quite good at it. There is a squash court here in the condo so its gonna be one of my activities, good thing its a game that you can play alone he he :) Now just need to find out if I still remember how to play .. do you let the ball bounce before you hit? or not? hahahaah .. I guess it will come back to me when I start playing? No? 

I have been driving around, found the nearest bank, nearest kedai runcit, found all FOUR jusco here and some other gyms, unfortunately its a workout gym only, no aerobics classes. Maybe I should go and register myself for the fitsness instructor course eh? They are looking for candidates, even those without any experience but with the right amount of enthusiasm and stamina LOL. You think I can qualify?? Must ask age limit lah pulak!!! Found the nearest maxis , digi, celcom and P1 centres too. Ha ha. Every day I plan to drive to a nearby town and check out what they have there !

And I am joining the yoga class today here woot woot.

13 comments:

tsar said...

See, you're doing just fine :)
Eh, main squash? I play but again, tak terrer. raket pun yg seasoned punya... from 8 years ago. Haha. But I find it hard to squash kaki

Che said...

sounds lively and fun! do miss kl, miss us more :P

IJAM said...

which part of the JB again? sounds deserted...but then again, its peaceful...

Past experience : met with this 'pervert pakcik' wearing tights yellow colour - he's a 'flasher'. - Nak je aku tendang anu dia tu. *he's not flashing at me, by the way* ha, ha..

Khairul said...

Haha...Ijam almost kena "flash"! Cari pasal betul la pakcik tu...

Glad to hear u are finding your way around. Simple exercises would do for now. Yoga, CH and some running. Squash pun ok. Fitness instructor tu nanti dulu la. Nanti tak cukup masa dan tenaga...

Eh, JB banyak aweks tak? Recce recce sikit please....LOL

RaYzeef said...

ijam ko sebut pasal flasher...terus terbayang ziff masa kat SCKLM..he he

KJ, congrats, u started running again :)

June Malik said...

zarin, your racket was 8 years, i last played 28 years ago LOL .. boleh lah kita main sama2 nanti hehe

che : nothing can beat missing u guys terribly !

Ijam : plentong! i definitely need pepper spray and extra lookout for orang seluar kuning ketat hihi .. yeww

KA : awek mana2 ada so far takdelah yang boleh buat tak bernafas LOL

Ray : hahah betul betul, ziff and his flasher moments .. start slow and steady !

ziff71 said...

Good for u Kak June. Slowly the number will grow. Seriously I never think a person like u would find it difficult to find new frens. Macam i lain lah...pemalu..flashing moment tu hanya photoshop trick hahaha

deo said...

good for you. the clark hatch must be in permas kan? Hehehe... I know Clark Hatch Excite in Danga Bay (near Tune Hotels) got classes. One of the instructor, a Filipino, she was ranked top 3 in Climbathon some years ago. Very nice person. And the gym in Danga City Mall also got classes but bit far off from Plentong lah.

deo said...

Weh Ijam, Pakcik tu lari kat taman yg kat bukit near the istana ke? If that's the same pakcik, he was still running last year. LOL!

atuk, jom main squash, Petronas complex kat bangi has nice courts.

June Malik said...

ziff - neither did i till i get here ha ha.. its still a two way thingie, satu nak berkawan satu tak mau pun tak menjadi but i am much happier now :) and the photoshop tu memang like real hihih

deo : yep its the one in permas .. kalau setakat permas, johor jaya and molek is still not too far for me to drive and traffic is still ok .. nak ke danga bay tu adoiiii .. tabik kat king pirate kita dari skudai go lari kat lake garden tuh !! but if at all i cant find a suitable one here, i might have to resort to danga but morning/afternoon class lah, evening memang out of the question!

oit betul ke pakcik tu ada lagi? haha .. hah zarin dah ada orang ajak main squash tuu ..

Diket said...

When I did my routine call to my mom just now, I asked her where is Plentong actually. I know the place but it's between Permas Jaya & Johor Jaya kan? And I don't have any idea is there a running route? Hehe. Pardon me. My stay in JB lasted until 1989 je. Lepas tu jadi orang KL. And during those years, Plentong was considered rural.

Orang JB insyaAllah chatty. Contohnya saya. Lol. Pi breakfast at Kg Melayu. Nanti I nak kenalkan Kak June to my family.

June Malik said...

diket, yeah its in between the two places .. running route tu is my own haha but the park is actually quite nice, i wish the majlis perbandaran or whomever in charged will spruce it up. plentong still small but ok laa .. and yes do please introduce me to your family !

SAM0309 said...

Good job June, you have adapted to the new situation. I am sure you will make new friends in no time.Here's wishing you lots of new, exciting and pleasant experiences.