Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Down but Not Out

Finally, somehow my Ipad is working again. Is it too late to wish all of you a happy 2012? Better late than never eh? I do wish nothing but the best for all of you and may the new year brings new beginnings, new hopes and new wonders :)

In case you dont know. I took a bad fall in the bathroom dec 28th. We have to shower standing in the bathtub and as i stepped out, I slipped and fell backwards and hit my back on the tub's edge twice and fell on the floor. With my height and size, the impact was hard. I ended up with two fractures on my right pelvic bone, one a long hairline fracture and another hairline fracture with a small break at the end !

I spent 6 days in the hospital in agonizing pain and I can hardly move, can only lie on my back but the cool pack they provided me 24/7 does give relief. The hot pad was better but I had to be wheeled down to physio department and I had to hoist myself up on the bed and lie down on the towels which elevated my back which caused pain lol. I was not a good patient lol, still walked with my crutches to the toilet instead of a bedpan. I will have to be totally paralysed before anyone can force me to do my business in a bedpan! I showered, change and all on my own, though I must confess, it will leave me in pain afterwards for a good while but I will do what I can till I can't.

Came home and painful 10 days more, can only lie on my back, cant turn right or left, any movement brings agonising pain and getting up from a sitting position and especially from lying down bring shivers to me. Going to the toilet is another horror. But I gritted through it and went off my painkillers after the 12th day, even though I still get woken up from sleep from throbbing pain, I went through it. I dont wish this upon anyone, this injury is truly painful!

I am alone at home during the day, my husband goes to work and my son at school. I managed with my crutches to make simple breakfast and drinks and have a small table near me for biscuits and water and things I needed. My son has been a real help especially the one week I was at home before he started school (lucky for me he started classes only on the 9th). Most of the time I have to lie down, sitting up is painful, standing and walking too lol.

But for the last few nights, I have been getting a good night sleep, no more throbbing wake up calls. I can sit up longer, (hence u getting this post) walk better with my crutches and at a better pace. No more painful days, just soreness and discomfort and tightness of the muscles. And for the first time last nite I could turn and sleep on my side, even though its for only 10 minutes, it was a huge relieve .. I managed it few times.

My check up on Saturday revealed that my bones are healing, faster than the doctor's expectations actually. The fractures are healing and a new bone is growing in the place of the break and soon it will grow to close the small gap that there now due to the break.

I am still mostly confined to lying down but my spirits are not down :) I intend to lie down as much as possible so that I can heal faster and be up and about again.

Hopefully I will be off the crutches in 2-3 weeks time, start to walk and gain back my legs strength. Then I should be able to drive again, which would also permit me to start walking and swimming again. I can only start to jog/run and ride again after 6 months.

This injury has forced me to cancel or postpone some of my plans but insyaallah I will be back running, swimming, cycling and riding !

Azam is taking the school bus to school, I managed to get cleaners to come in once a week to clean the place, and I have to rely on the food in the downstairs cafe for the time being till I can do marketing again. My husband and son goes shopping to get supplies for the house and on weekends I get better choice of food since my husband goes out to get food, though seriously, I dont know how long more I can stand outside food! Pity the guys having to deal with the same thing.

I can make the bed on my own now (well just put the pillows in place and fold the blankets haha) and also I can sit and fold clothes :) azam puts them in the washer and dryer!

Slowly but surely I am getting better. I just want to walk again without the crutches, hopefully before my birthday next month! It would be the besttest birthday present from me to me hehee..And time for me to read all those bought but not read books lol.

Thank you all for your prayers, wishes and encouragement and keeping me sane :)I am blessed to have all of you in my life.

Meanwhile, you guys take care, and do take heed that slipping and falling in the bathroom could be truly a painful experience and taking months off your life to heal again.

I will be back.

ANAK MAMI

15 comments:

lina said...

Glad to hear that you are recovering well, KJ.

Take care. :)

Dancing Ciken said...

kalau macam ni punya gaya makan biskuttt je, gerenti slim balik, hehe

get well soon KJ!

June Malik said...

Thanks Lina *hugs*

Jaja, Azam balik he will buy for me from downstairs lol ..the baring aje will make all lagi lebar but I will work it all off, I swear !! *hopefully hihi* hugs!!

Khairul said...

Me and Ray talked about u all the time on our return journey from Thailand. But I know u'll get through this setback strong, as u have always been.

Take good care kak June. And great to know u are recovering speedily. Orang yang baik2 selalunya akan kembali sihat segera :-)

amsyah said...

i hope you recover well and fast. regardless, take your time to heal and rest fully.

masa bedrest, jangan asyik eksesais main mata ok :D

RaYzeef said...

Good to hear about your speedy recovery, do take care and take things easy & slow...for now :)

p/s i'm wearin helmet going to bathroom after this :p

p/p/s eh Brit tak datang melawat eh? no flowers from Brit? ngeh ngeh

Zack Yui said...

I think that's the good thing about being active, you need less time to recover. Happy that you're making a lot of progress, KJ.

June Malik said...

KA, tq .. Get over mesti tapi this is painful lol

Syah, Dlm rumah sorang2, takde siapa nak eksesais my mata with haha

Ray, good idea - I hv my riding helmet mwahaha .. Brit tak tau la Ada ke tak .. Last I saw her from far before the fall ..nampak dia terus tukar my direction !!!

Zack, I agree .. Minum lah Anlene hehe

I heart u guys :)

zErOiCe said...

glad to know you're recovering well.. :)

Julin Julai said...

KJ, with your strong spirit , you will be back.
And we'll all be waiting for you.
hugs*

June Malik said...

Zeroice : trying hard haha, tq

Julin : insyaallah, big bear hugs !

serena said...

my only wish to you for the year 2012 is fast recovery and hope you will be on your feet at no time. for now, please do take good care of yourself and my prayers goes to you all the time!

June Malik said...

Serena, same here gf, same here :) u take care too .. Hugss

Anny said...

So sorry to hear about your fall, I have not been browsing at blogs so missed this, great that you are recovering fast!!

June Malik said...

Getting there Anny :) thanks